Palestinian Energy and Natural Resources Authority (PENRA)
Environmental & Social Specialist
Palestinian Energy and Natural resources Authority (PENRA) is seeking to hire a qualified Environmental &
Social Specialist to Develop and implement the Environmental and Social instruments according to the World
Banks Guidelines and Environmental and Social Standards. The E&S Specialist should have enough experience
and knowledge of the E&S Safeguards of the World BANK to be able to carry out below mentioned duties and
responsibilities. We are seeking a qualified candidate for a full-time position based in Ramallah with frequent visits
to Gaza Strip.
Job Title: Environmental & Social Specialist.
- Provide overall environmental and social management oversight during the implementation of the project
- Participate actively in the stakeholder’s negotiation and World Bank missions and provide inputs to
Environmental and Social instruments
- Determine the adequate environmental and social instruments according to the Environmental and Social Management
Framework (ESMF) and the World Bank Guidelines.
- Follow up and update the Environmental and Social Commitment Plan (ESCP) including additional requirements
during the progressive project definition.
- Supervise and monitor the contractor’s compliance to OHS and labor management Procedure
- Ensure effective engagement with the stakeholders and manage the information disclosure as per the Stakeholder
Engagement Plan (SEP)
- Supervise and monitor the adequate implementation of Environmental and Social specific instruments
- Prepare regular Environmental and Social Compliance Reports (ESCR) on compliance status with the project
- Coordinate with the Environmental and Quality Authority for any additional project requirements.
- Develop an adequate and comprehensive Grievance Redress Mechanism (GRM)
- Build an Environmental and Social team including the main stakeholders
- Contribute on budget preparation of the Environmental and Social activities
- Engage and supervise environmental and social consultants supporting the project, as well as safety engineers
and occupational health officers.
- Provide environmental and social training and public awareness campaigns.
- Prepare terms of references to undertake Environmental and Social assessments any new activities and obtain
necessary clearances from the World Bank and/or designated project approving agencies.
- Produce reports in a manner understood by non-technical people for effective dissemination purpose. Produce
relevant summary documents in Arabic language for dissemination in local levels.
- Prepare a quarterly report to be submitted to the PMU Manager as a follow-up on the implementation and
monitoring of the sub-projects.
- Undertake other duties as per the requirements of the project or as directed by the PMU manager.
• A university degree in Environmental Engineering, Environmental Management, or Environmental and Occupational
Health or any other related field. A master degree is a plus.
• At least 5 years of experience in environmental and social impact assessment management.
• Have very good command on English and Arabic language communication skills (reading, writing and
• Good experience in producing environmental and social reports is required.
• Have very good management skills, particularly workshop organizing and moderation, communication skills as
well as having the ability to work in a team.
• Experience in dealing with complaints systems.
• Track record of working in line with the requirements of international financial institutions.
• Proven ability to communicate effectively, understand community and stakeholder perspectives and vulnerabilities
and to engage with project affected people and project management teams positively and constructively
• Proven responsibility for day to day management of social studies and delivery.
• Knowledge of the project area and the communities.
• Understanding of traditional land title and rights systems.
• Have very good computer skills in general and especially in MS Office package (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, MS
Interested eligible candidates should submit personally their CVs with a cover letter (in English) and all supporting
documents (University and experience certificates) to the Palestinian Energy Authority no later than Wednesday,
03rd November 2021 to the following address:
PEA Head Quarter building No 39.
Al-Beireh - Al-Masayef
To General Directorate of Administrative affairs - 6th floor, Room 6-9
PS: we will accept only the CVs of qualified candidates.
NOTE: PENRA prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and promotes equal employment opportunities
to all employees and applicants in recruitment and professional advancement regardless of age, sex, gender, religion,
ability, marital status, family responsibilities, etc.
Eng. Zafer Milhem/PENRA Chairman